Wednesday 13 February 2013

For the love of.....love.

Let's face it.  We're a collective grouping of love junkies.

Happy Valentine's Day peeps......

Now, I thought long and hard about a Valentine's Day post.....because realistically, there may not be anything more stereotypical than a divorced chick talking about her disdain for the day of love.....but actually, as long standing as my aversion to this day has run, this year I feel it's actually the least offensive it's been in a long time,  which of course gave me license to muse away.  I mean really?  A day where we all wallow in our glory as huge bouquets of roses, romantic dinners, diamonds and sexy lingerie are not only expected, but have come to be the norm.  It's as bad as a bunch of high schoolers worrying about prom.....and quite frankly, I'd rather not get one more email with some hot, young, scantily clad model wearing the sexiest get up I've seen in a while captioned with the likes of "play sexy"....or my personal favourite "bling it on and show off this V-day!"(I know, I'm really not their target market, and well, I don't really dig that stuff anyhow).....but seriously - I'm 37 and I've had two kids.....I'd like to show her I love her, not give her nightmares for the rest of her life as I bust out in my rhinestone thong.....sweet jesus people - time for a reality check here.....

After I strip away (ok, pun intended) all the excess of the day, the notion is pretty sweet....I guess?  Yes.  Showing your love for your significant other is very, very essential.  But shouldn't that be kind of an every day thing?  Am I the only one who would appreciate a gesture that wasn't so contrived?  I have to tell you, at this stage in the game I'd trade any number of dozens of roses for a shower in which I didn't have to a) rush through or get up at 5 am to take, and 2) keep one ear cocked for the inevitable disaster that is occurring in the wake of two unsupervised toddlers.  Throw in a huge bonus prize if anyone is willing to pick up the resultant tornado of toys, clothes, and god knows what else they manage to destruct during five minutes of shoddy supervision (or just in the course of the day for that matter).  How about an hour or two to......hmm....I'm not sure what I'd do with that kind of alone time.....I'd be drunk with the freedom, that's for sure.....but again, I'd trade your fanciest set menu dinner in any restaurant tomorrow night for a bit of time.....and quiet.....and well, just togetherness.....because at the end of the day......I think that is love.  It is really the sum of all those little things.  Remembering it's garbage day.  Putting gas in the car.  Picking up milk because we needed it.  Sitting on the couch once the kids are in bed and just holding hands in the quiet.  Going for a walk together.  Just a touch for no reason.  All of those things are so....easy....and it's just so easy to forget all of those things too.  And it's even easier to continue to let them slide to the bottom of the priority list because life just has so many other things that keep coming at you relentlessly.  And maybe I'm just so much more sensitive to it this time around because I've seen first hand what can happen.....and just how many things grow that can't be fixed with a fancy romantic dinner and a dozen roses....and then can't be fixed at all...... 

So....to all you love junkies out there who have big plans tomorrow night - enjoy them my friends.  I hope everyone has something in their day that makes them smile and feel loved, not matter what or by whom.   I have a hot date with a Princess and a Pirate tomorrow night.....and a dozen pale pink tulips that my Princess picked out herself for "us".....and even though there is someone that I'd kind of really like to be with tomorrow night,  life has other plans.....and that's just fine......because somewhere in the future there will be a Tuesday night and that will be just as good....in fact, it might even be better ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment